22 Identified For Downloading Child Abuse Videos

< BACK TO LEGAL starstarstarstarstar   People - Legal Press Release
11th December 2008, 10:16am - Views: 437
11 December 2008




Media Release

22 identified for downloading child abuse videos
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has identified 22 men across New South
Wales, Victoria and Queensland following a 12-month investigation into an
online child abuse image and video-sharing network.
The AFP's Child Protection Operations Teams seized more than 15,000 videos
and 500,000 images of child abuse which were shared between members of a
peer-to-peer network.
The images and video included the sexual abuse of children as young as 12
months old.
The AFP has executed 28 search warrants to date which has resulted in 19 men
being arrested and three other matters currently being pursued through other
court processes. The latest arrest, a 24-year-old Blakehurst man, is due to
face Sydney Central Local Court today, following search warrants executed on
his premises yesterday.
The operation began when the AFP received a referral from the Brazilian
Federal Police (DPF) in December last year.
This information assisted the AFP to identify a number of alleged offenders
found to be sharing videos and images depicting child sexual abuse on the
internet.
Referrals from the DPF via Interpol have led to the identification of more than
200 potential offenders in 70 countries across the globe.
AFP Acting Deputy Commissioner Operations Andrew Colvin said this operation
removed at least two children from harm and he warned that the AFP will not
tolerate the viewing or exchanging of child abuse material.
"The videos seized as part of this operation have to be among the worst we
have seen. Some depicted sexual abuse of children lasting more than two
hours," Deputy Commissioner Colvin said.
"The viewing and exchanging of child abuse material will not be tolerated in
Australia and the AFP, with its state, territory and international counterparts,
will continue to fight this repulsive crime.
"If we are not knocking on your door this morning, then it could be tomorrow,"
he said.

Visit our website at www.afp.gov.au for all the latest information on the Australian Federal Police



This operation highlights, like many operations in the past, the importance of
international collaboration for this borderless crime.
"This is a reminder for children and parents, particularly over the Christmas
break, that the internet is not an anonymous place, and from a law
enforcement perspective, it is simply another area for police to patrol," Deputy
Commissioner Colvin said.
For a 12 month period, the AFP work in this crime type has resulted in over
300 people being charged, including 131 people as part of this year's Operation
Centurion.
The maximum penalty for the offence of possessing child abuse material is
10 years imprisonment.
Concerns about suspicious and/or inappropriate behaviour can be reported
online through www.virtualglobaltaskforce.com or to your local police.
Media Enquiries: AFP National Media
(02) 6275 7100


Breakdown of matters before court

New South Wales - 10
Queensland - 5
Victoria - 7
Press conference
Deputy Commissioner Andrew Colvin will hold a media conference at
10am at the AFP's Canberra Headquarters this morning to discuss
details of this online child sexual abuse investigation.

Where AFP Headquarters 68 Northbourne Avenue, Canberra
ACT
When Thursday 11 December 2008, 10am
Special Media will need to sign-in, so please arrive at
Note 9.45am
Footage Footage and photos of search warrants will be
available.




Visit our website at www.afp.gov.au for all the latest information on the Australian
Federal Police



news articles logo NEWS ARTICLES
Contact News Articles |Remove this article